In the name of God the Compassionate the Merciful
In “True Islam answers”, we focus on Islamophobia and answering the questions and issues posed by the anti-Islam. We hope to be able to introduce Islam to the world by attributing to Quran and Islamic narrations and prevail the propaganda. In the first part we addressed “Islam and non-Muslims” and in the following part, we will have a look at the conditions of war (Jihad) in Islam.
The question is under what circumstances wars are permissible in Islam. Some may consider Islam as a violent religion which endorse wars and recommends its followers to invade non-Muslims. Is it true? Studying the history of Islam can be helpful in knowing the right answer.
When Prophet Muhammad received God’s message, he started inviting people to Islam. The poor and slaves who were under oppression of the rich people were the first group who converted because Islam condemned oppression, didn’t accept worshiping idols and emphasized equality of all human beings regardless of race, color, tribe etc. In such circumstances rich people who had benefits in slavery and exploiting the poor, didn’t remain silent. They tried different ways to force believers to disbelieve and leave Prophet Muhammad alone from insulting believers to torturing them severely and expelling them from their homes. Their violence and brutality reached the apex when they killed some Muslims under severe torture. As a result, some Muslims immigrated to Ethiopia in order to save their lives but many believers were not physically able to immigrate and suffered a lot.
In such terrible conditions, holy Quran ordered Muhammad (pbuh) and Muslims to be patient:
• So be patient over what they say and exalt [Allah] with praise of your lord. (20:130)
• Pardon and overlook until Allah delivers the command. (2:109)
• Restrain your hands [from fighting] and establish prayer. (4:77)
Nevertheless despite all these patience and tolerance, the enemies became more and more brutal day by day and there wasn’t any other way to repulse their violence but war. Therefore God sent Prophet Muhammad the war verses (Jihad verses) according to which oppressed Muslims had the permission to defend themselves and fight the oppressors:
• “Permission [to fight] has been given to those who are being fought, because they were wronged. And indeed, Allah is competent to give them victory. (22:39). [They are] those who have been evicted from their homes without right – only because they say, “Our Lord is Allah.” And were it not that Allah checks the people, some by means of others, there would have been demolished monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques in which the name of Allah is much mentioned. And Allah will surely support those who support Him. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and Exalted in Might. (22:40)”
• “Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress. Indeed. Allah does not like transgressors.” (2:190)
• “And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you…” (2:191)
• “…And if they cease, then indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.” (2:192)
• “… If they cease, then there is to be no aggression except against the oppressors.” (2:193)
It is to be noted that even in such circumstances Muslims had to follow justice and peace:
• O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm for Allah, witnesses in justice, and do not let the hatred of a people prevent you from being just. Be just; that is nearer to righteousness. (5:8)
• And if they incline to peace, then incline to it [also] and rely upon Allah. Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing, the Knowing. (8:61)
Therefore it’s obvious that Jihad is not fighting the innocent people as the holy Quran mentions: “Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes – from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly.”(60:8)
Jihad means fighting the oppressors and what Isis terrorists do is not Jihad despite their claims. They just use the name of Islam and the word “Jihad” as a means to justify their crimes.
If we also have a glance at the most awful wars in history we’ll see that Muslims had nothing to do with them:
1- The First World War with millions of killed, handicapped and missing.
2- The second world war with fatalities similar to the first one.
3- Nuclear bombing on Japanese cities with 80000 killed and tens of thousands wounded.
4- Imposing war on Vietnam
5- Imposing war on Afghanistan
6- Imposing war on Iraq
Inshallah in the next part, we will address the slavery in Islam.
Be with us.
DUA: Allah please accept this from us. You are All-Hearing and All-Knowing. You are The Most Forgiving.You are The Most Relenting and repeatedly Merciful. Allah grant us The Taufiq to read all the 5 prayers with sincerity.
(Taken from:To Be Earnest In Prayers By Amina Elahi)
■ Feel Free to Share the posts with your Friends…
■ You too can take part and help us in sharing the knowledge…
■ May ALLAH SWT reward you for conveying His Message To Mankind… Amen